When we think about gynecologists, most of us picture adult women receiving routine checkups. But did you know there are gynecologists who help babies, children, and teenagers too? Think about it this way: All gynecologists complete training in obstetrics and gynecology, but some gynecologists receive further training to specialize in caring for children and young adults. Here at North Texas OB-GYN Associates, we are committed to providing the highest quality of women’s health services for women of every age.
What is pediatric and teen gynecology?
Pediatric and teen gynecologists specialize in helping children and teenagers with a wide range of gynecological issues. Some babies are born with vaginal abnormalities or ovarian cysts and need a gynecologist after birth. Young girls may have labial adhesions or fusion of the lips of the vagina or experience an underlying bleeding disorder. Others suffer from bicycle or horse riding injuries that require a gynecological exam or repair. Some girls deal with severe itching, pain, discharge, or odors. Teenagers may endure difficult periods, complications in puberty, or endometriosis — and pediatric and teen gynecologists are ready to help.
Why is pediatric and teen gynecology important?
As young women develop, it’s important to have a trusted gynecologist to care for their changing needs. Pediatric and teen gynecology services include the following:
- Comprehensive well-woman care
- Contraceptive services
- Help for menstrual abnormalities
- Treatment of chronic pelvic pain
- Reproductive health visits
- Surgical care for adnexal, vaginal, uterine, and perineal abnormalities
When should I seek out a pediatric and teen gynecologist?
If your daughter has any gynecological disorders, it is important to seek professional care immediately. Chronic pain, abnormal bleeding, and contraceptive needs also qualify as reasons for seeking care. Other reasons include the following conditions:
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) – Common STIs include chlamydia, genital herpes, and gonorrhea.
- Delayed puberty – Menstrual periods and developing breasts typically begin when girls reach their early teens. Sometimes, however, medical problems may delay puberty and hormone medication is needed to help.
- Skin conditions of the vulva – If your daughter has swelling, itching, pain, or sores on the skin outside of her genitals, treatment is needed. These conditions are often caused by an infection, irritation, or inflammatory issue.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge – Although vaginal discharge is normal for women, unusual discharge is often the result of a yeast infection, bacterial infection, or sexually transmitted infection.
- Vaginitis or vulvovaginitis – Vaginitis is the result of an infection or inflammation of the vagina. If it involves the outside of the vagina (the vulva), it is known as vulvovaginitis and is caused from a sexually transmitted infection, yeast infection, or allergic reaction to laundry detergent or fragrant bath products.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) – This condition is created by an abnormal balance of hormones that makes the ovaries develop small sacs filled with fluid or cysts. This may cause acne, an unusual amount of body hair, and irregular periods.
If left undiagnosed, these conditions can have damaging effects on a young woman’s health.
What should I expect during my visit?
Before arriving, please bring your insurance card, list of current medications, and immunization records. All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early.
Once you’re here, your daughter’s weight, height, and blood pressure will be taken. The gynecologist will review your daughter’s medical history and discuss any concerns you may have. A urine sample may be requested. The gynecologist will perform an exam and discuss care recommendations with you and your daughter.
We’re here for you
We want to meet the physical and emotional needs of our patients and their families. With three locations and several board-certified physicians, we are here to serve you. If your daughter is suffering from a gynecological disorder, don’t wait to get help. Schedule an appointment today!